Learn the real reason SMB customers choose cloud apps. GoCodes partnered with GetApp to commission a survey designed to determine the real reason small to medium sized (SMB) businesses choose cloud apps over installed solutions. Here are the results.
Get the full details here.
Here are five other factors to consider when purchasing installed software. These are often overlooked in the budgeting and management process and can significantly influence the business case for an installed solution over a cloud based solution.
1) Financial risk. With a large initial payment, the installed-software customer takes a greater risk should the software not meet requirements or never be implemented. With a hosted solution you usually pay monthly so your financial risk is lower.
2) Hidden operating costs. Does your installed software budget include ensuring regular backups are taken and securely stored offsite in the event of a major hardware failure? Does it include checking for and installing software security patches and other updates, version updates and other fixes on an ongoing basis? How about reinstalling the software and moving the database when you upgrade your computer or move facilities.
3) What if your needs grow from a single user setup to needing to add more members of your team? Will the installed software allow you to add users and will they all need their own machines and separate installations?
4) How secure is your data? Will your computer or server be housed in a secure facility with controlled network & physical access? What if someone wanted to access or delete your data. How hard would that be?
5) Ever had a virus or malware problem? Do you have the tools and best-practice processes in place to ensure that your computer is safe? Will it be connected to the Internet? Do you have a network firewall, intrusion detection and other protections installed?
As you can see there can be significant additional risks and costs to installed software that need to be included in a fair comparison. What do you think? Did we miss anything?